Monday, May 30, 2016

"G" Is For....

growing up...

I grew up in a small town called Milford, Ohio.  It is around 25 miles from downtown Cincinnati....

Growing up in that small town consisted of:

Mothers truly telling us to be home when the streetlights came on....

Mothers calling our name to come home for dinner.  Each Mom had a distinctive "call"...   One neighbor used a bell to call her kids home.  There were 3 Linda's on my street. But believe me, I KNEW when it was my Mom calling - LOL!

We could ride our bikes all over - and did...

We could take long walks - and we did...(especially to the library, to the little strip mall that was right by our house...to get a pop (soda) at the Little Store right down the street..., or just around the entire town to see what was going on. Oh and to school. We walked to school until we went into high school...

We could go hang out down in the woods by the creek - and we did...

I would sit outside on the porch, playing Jacks or cards - with my sister - or my best friend who lived right next store.  Or we would play Nancy Drew with the neighbor kids. 

And so many many other things we just did in those carefree days....without a worry or care...our town was safe...

It was a good childhood.....

5 comments:

Paula said...

My mom had a loud, shrill whistle that called us home. We used to wander all over our little town too. And now people are afraid to let their kids play in the front yard!!

Linda said...

So true Paula!!

In certain ways, I'm glad I don't have kids - because I know I would worry myself sick constantly!!

Linda

kathy b said...

We played GHOST IN THE GRAVEYARD

WE rode our bikes.

WE watched a lot of TV. Seriously . WE fostered newborns before they were adoptedand we sat in the a/c andwatched PASSWORD and Hollywood Squares and passed the baby around.

Linda said...

Kathy,

We played in the cemetery all the time! It was one street over from us (well, it still is - LOL!). My one friend and I spent so many hours sitting on top of the big gates into the cemetery - just talking the days away....

Linda

Nan said...

An elementary school in the next town over, where I went as a kid, has a sign out front that says 'walking Wednesdays.' I think that means the kids all walk to school that day. I didn't walk all the time to school but most always walked home - well over a couple miles I think.