Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Saluting our Veterans....

including my Daddy. He served in the Navy during World War II. He was stationed on Saipan. When we were growing up, he would never speak about what he went through during those times. A few years ago, when they were dedicating the WWII memorial in Washington, D.C., my parents came here for a visit and we went there to see it, and to see all the displays they had on the Mall grounds. We went into one tent where they had people who were collecting the stories of these veterans. I got my Dad to sit and tell his story. I had to turn away a few times - in tears - tears of pride, tears of sadness of what he saw and experienced. One day these stories will go into the Library of Congress. I will never forget this memory I have of this time with my Dad.

No comments: