Monday, June 20, 2016

"J" Is For...

joining....

joining groups that is - book groups, knitting or stitching groups, groups that are organized ones - like brownies and girl scouts, etc. etc...

I was never much of a "joiner" of groups when I was younger.  I went to Brownies and Girl Scouts - I believe...because my Mom made me go.
I vaguely remember semi-enjoying it...but never really getting into the whole "scene" like so many other of the girls.

When I got to High School, I basically got left behind by my close friends, because they were "joiners" and I was not.  I did join Spanish Club - not sure why...  and I tried out for Drill Team, because my friend wanted me to do that with her. She got in, I did not.  She joined the school paper group, and was in plays and musicals that my school put on throughout the year. Me, I just went to school and did my homework...

I think, if I were like I am now, back then, I would have joined more things.  Especially more of the things like the school paper. But no musicals or plays or anything that you had to get up in front of people to do!

I was in Jobs Daughters. So was my sister.  Again, she really got into it and actually was "Queen" one year.  She is an extrovert, I am an introvert. I did go to the meetings each week and was okay with that.  My parents were into the upper clubs - like Masons and Eastern Star.  So they were always at the Jobs Daughters meetings with us.  We used to have "progressive dinners" which I really enjoyed!  You would start out at one house for salad, and then move onto other houses for the appetizers, the main course, and dessert.  Sometimes we had long rides in between courses - depending on who was hosting. But that just gave you time to rest your stomach!

As an adult, I've tried, from time to time, joining book clubs, knitting groups, stitching groups.  I just never fit in - or maybe I just never found one that "fit me"...

What about you - are you a joiner of groups/clubs?

1 comment:

Paula said...

I think I might be much like you!! I am not a joiner either. I wonder if I missed anything??