Thursday, April 3, 2008

And the battle is on! Me Against the Squirrels!!

It is my own fault. I have no one to blame but me. I've been feeding the squirrels for years and years and years! Also feeding the birds. At first, it was okay - they all got a share. But lately the squirrels are just taking over - eating from not only the bowls I put out for them, but from the feeders also. The poor birdies barely get anything to eat and I can't even watch them anymore because the squirrels are constantly scaring them off. So three days ago, I decided to stop feeding the squirrels. I'm now $35.00 poorer - trying to find a feeder they will stay out of and that the cardinals will eat from. We've tried all kinds of tricks, but the squirrels always figure the puzzle out and are back to hanging from the feeders, eating away. I've not given up yet!! I am throwing out bread and crackers into the yard so the squirrels have something to munch on. Otherwise I'd feel too cruel. Have you ever had a squirrel sit their looking at you with their little paws crossed under their chins and a puzzled, hurt look on their faces! Arghhh!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh Linda! You can't have those squirrels looking at you like that. LOL!

Hugs ~
Heidi

Anonymous said...

Hey, squirrels love potato chips. If you have left over crunched potato chips on the bottom of the bag, they'll eat it. Also try to set up dry corn on the cob and the empty corn on the cob or something that can stand up, spread peanut butter on it. They love peanut butter spread!!