Monday, April 25, 2016

"B" is for Bicycle....

Do you remember when you learned how to ride a bike?  I do! Maybe not the age I was at that time.  But just the whole feeling/experience of it all.  I know it was my Mom out there for a bit trying to help me get the hang of it. And then for awhile, it was my Dad trying to help out - over and over.  He finally tired of it one evening and went back inside.  And then not long after that, my mind and my body got it all in sync and off I went.  I ran into the house screaming out that I was able to do it.  I was happy - but they were happier - I think mainly because they didn't have to keep trying to hold me up on the bike - LOL!! 

And do you remember your first bike?  This one that I learned to ride on was an old one - a hand me down from my older sister. And the color?  Can't remember the original color. But the color when I started riding it was black and pink! Why??  Because by the time my sister got done with it, it was really used up and rusty...  My Dad had some paint in the garage...  I think the black may have been in a spray can - something he used for some project or other. And the pink was wall paint that had been used on our bedroom wall at some point!!  I still love black and pink together!

4 comments:

kathy b said...

I know I used those awful training wheels for a long long time. Wobbling back and forth! WHo ever invented the shorty bikes to learn on now....wow...so smart. Im sure there are much fewer spills.

My first bike was undoubtedly a hand me down. WIth 6 kids in our house a new bike wasn't in the cards.
I've recently rediscoverd the joy of the bike. I want a basket now...to carry my stuff in.

Unknown said...

I do not remember being taught how to ride a bike. But that is true of many of my childhood memories. Crazy, huh! I just know that I did ride a bike as a kid. I love black and pink together too!!

Janet said...

My first bike was brand new. It was red and came with training wheels. When I outgrew that on, however, I got my cousin's hand me down. It was a powder blue. I wasn't much of a bike rider. I lived in the city and walked everywhere (or took the bus) so I never really cared that my bike was "used." I like your alphabet series. I look forward to the next 24!

Linda said...

Janet - We actually rode bikes all the time growing up. And then after I got married - Skip and I would go on bike rides (long ones) - to the zoo - and other places around town - with groups of friends. But I haven't ridden my bike in a long time now!

Linda