Friday, May 13, 2011

Feeding the Birdies...

and the squirrels... Every morning, I go out and feed the birds and the squirrels. Along with their regular seed, I also throw out crackers and bread (or in other words, junk food for birds). Usually, like this morning, as soon as I start throwing the stuff into the yard, one of the birds will "send out the message". I was laughing this morning, because a blue jay started yelling out - and within a minute, it was like a Disney movie! All kinds of birds zooming in, and 7 or 8 squirrels popping out of nowhere. It is alot of effort each morning to put it all out, including fresh water - winter and summer - rain or shine or snow...., and it gets a bit pricey buying all of the food, but I truly enjoy it. I stand out there for a bit each day, chattering back to all of them.

2 comments:

Marcia said...

We just took our large feeder in for the summer, and I will miss seeing the birds and squirrels jockeying for position at the feeder every morning.

At the house where I grew up, there was a large side yard with a beautiful birch tree in the middle where the feeders were hung. Our 23-pound Maine Coon cat, Remus, actually patrolled the perimeter of the yard, keeping the squirrels and other neighborhood cats at bay. We never, ever saw any evidence that Remus availed himself of the bounty--at least that's what we told ourselves!

Siobhán said...

Awww, that's neat! I had my DH bring back a bird book from my FIL's bird book stash the last time he went to visit MIL. I know about American birds but want to learn more about the birds I see in the garden here.